Dear Future Husband



Dear Future Husband,

This is a letter of who I need you to be, and also who I promise to be.

First and foremost: I need you to be my biggest fan. I have never known this before. I need you to believe in me from the depths of your soul. Believe in me more than I believe in myself. Want for me what I want for myself. Be genuinely happy, maybe even ecstatic, for me when I reach my goals – even if that means loving me selflessly. I will do the same for you.

Second: Take care of yourself. You don’t need to be a supermodel. I certainly am not. All I ask is that you take care of yourself – physically and emotionally. I know challenges present themselves and sometimes we get taken for an unwanted ride, but come back to me. And more importantly, come back to yourself. I need to be attracted to you physically and emotionally in order to want to be close to you. I want to be close to you my whole life. I promise to take care of myself for you.

Third: Have an open heart. Laugh at my stupid jokes. I’m not funny, but if you laugh it will make me feel good. Have a sense of humor that makes the world seem less heavy. Also, cry. Cry when you are sad. Show me you know how to feel the joys of life and also the depths of life. I need our hearts to be open to one another; I need to know you can feel.

Fourth: Be honest. Be honest to everyone. I need a trustworthy husband. Be honest as a child is honest – but use your adult ability to think and have a little tact. That being said, I would far rather you be honest 100% of the time and hurt my feelings than sugarcoat the truth so much that it becomes a lie. With the truth comes freedom. Knowing the truth gives me to the power of choice. I promise to give you that freedom as well.

Fifth: Windows and walls. This relates to four.  Keep the windows between us, and the walls around us. Discuss intimate matters of our relationship with me. Don’t share our secrets with people who do not belong in our relationship. This is how we will build our trust. This is how we will build a strong “house.” This is how I will come to call you my best friend. I want to be your best friend too.

Last but not least: Love me. Give your whole heart to me, and I will give you mine. Wrap your arms around me and make me feel whole. Be my better half. Tell me when I am out of line, and love me enough to stand by me anyway. You’re going to need a backbone. I’m stubborn and learn by doing, but I do learn. I will apologize when I am wrong, and even when I am not. Please do the same for me. I will love you with everything I have, and if I begin to fall short please tell me. I want to make you feel like the amazing, handsome, humorous, honest, loving husband and man that you are. Let me remind you of this daily. Let me be your better half also. 

All my love,

Danielle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who I Would Be

From the Heart

Chopsticks