It's just a hiccup. That's life.

Yesterday I had my committee letter interview for medical school. A committee letter is something CU does to prepare you for applying to medical school. They interview you, give you feedback, tell you where your weak spots are, and then write a letter to send out to all the medical schools you're applying to about your preparedness. I went in feeling like this is my year to apply, I'm awesome, go Danielle, etc, etc. I walked out a hot crying mess. Yep, I know. Sad. They told me my clinical experience is weak and my personal statement should be scrapped because it's too brutally honest. That's not that bad, but my eyes welled up and out came the streaming tears. After I called everyone in my phone who I needed to cry to, I took a deep breath and laughed about it... and maybe drank some wine. I also talked to my Dad who essentially told me that I'm still awesome (that's his job), and just because I have one thing that is average (maybe a little below - my clinical hours) doesn't mean every medical school is going to hate me. I tend to overreact to things when I am stressed, like every human. I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow so maybe yesterday wasn't the best day for someone to tell me all the reasons why I won't get into medical school. 

ANYWAY, I was eavesdropping on this guy's conversation at a coffee shop while studying. He was actually very obnoxious, but he had a lot of interesting things to say such as, "It's just a hiccup. That's life." He was talking about his two bike accidents where he should have been killed, but I think it applies to so many things. It's easy to let one bad thing get you down, but in reality that bad thing is often so small in the bigger picture that it truly is "just a hiccup." And hiccups go away. They don't matter. They have no physiological significance besides the fact that your diaphragm is temporarily spasming. They're there and then they're gone and you forget about them. 

Stop thinking about Grey's Anatomy when Lexie's mom dies from the hiccups. We're not talking about the exceptions.

Moral of the story is, it was just a hiccup. I can learn from it, improve, and move on.

I tried to make Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs from Chocolate Covered Katie for Easter. As you can see they did not turn out very pretty. I ran out of patience. They do taste EXACTLY like Reeses though! 

But the best part of all of this: I figured out how to make my own paleo chocolate! Mylifeiscomplete. 

2 tbsp cocoa
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 packet stevia (or tsp other sweetener)
Melt, freeze, consume.


I also sort of made up a recipe! Not really because I was trying to make Juli's Apple Onion Cinnamon Pork Chops, but I didn't have all the ingredients.

Cocoa Pork Chops 

3 pork chops
1 C applesauce
1 onion sliced
1 tbsp coconut oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp cocoa
sea salt

  1. Cook onions in coconut oil until they begin to soften. 
  2. Add applesauce, honey, and 1 tsp cinnamon and allow to cook down while you season pork chops. 
  3. Season pork chops with salt, cocoa and remaining cinnamon.
  4. Put pork chops in pan.
  5. Cover and let cook for... 8 minutes? Until they're light pink inside.
  6. Serve with something sweet like baked spaghetti squash. 


I'm obsessed with coffee shops that make almond milk lattes. Particularly, The French Press. Their food is also AMAZING and inexpensive. 
And this is how you tell paleo to eff off.
 I felt like I had an affair with this Nutella and rasberry delciousness.


 And you really need to go eat this "Peanut's Butter's Burger" from the Rockrest.
Wish me luck!!!



:).

























Comments

  1. First of all, you're gonna kill it tomorrow.
    Second, anyone who makes their own paleo chocolate is someone who I want to be my doctor. That is insanely impressive.
    Third, maybe I think I'm smarter than that committee (highly unlikely, but crazier things have happened), and I don't agree w/ their assessment of your personal statement.
    In times like that, I've gone with my gut, and it's worked.
    You've got this, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you have to try it and let me know what you think! The stevia kind of sinks to the bottom, but I just take larger bites and it's fine. Honey would probably work better. Thank you for your faith in me :). I think I will go with my gut, and I would put money on you being smarter any day. I really like my personal statement and so did all the medical professionals my Dad sent it to. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Who I Would Be

From the Heart

Chopsticks